Fried and Fried, P.A.
Consult With An Attorney
Toll free: 888-831-2597
Local: 239-243-9287

What are the requirements for parental relocation?

According to the Florida Legislature, a divorced parent is able to relocate more than 50 miles away with a child they have custody of. However, a number of requirements must be satisfied. If you live in Lee County, or elsewhere in the state, and are dealing with parental relocation issues, it is vital to familiarize yourself with the relocation process. Whether you wish to relocate with your child, or prevent someone else from relocating with your child, you should be familiar with the various conditions that must be met.

If you, your child's other parent and all individuals with access to the child agree to the move, relocation can occur after the signing of an agreement. The agreement must contain a variety of elements, such as a description of how the parent who isn't relocating will be able to spend time with the child. Without a written agreement, you can file a relocation petition if you wish to move with your child. The petition, which must be delivered to the child's other parent, needs to contain the new phone number and address of the residence (if you know it), the reasons you plan to move, the day you plan to relocate and more. If you disagree with a relocation petition that has been served on you, you can file an objection which explains why you are opposed to the relocation.

This post was written to provide useful information regarding parental relocation and should not be seen as a substitute for legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact us

Fried and Fried, P.A.
2524 First Street
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-831-2597
Phone: 239-243-9287
Fax: 239-337-4693
Fort Myers Law Office Map

Fried and Fried, P.A. Map
Review us

Contact Us For A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response