Fried and Fried, P.A.
toll free 888-831-2597
local 239-243-9287

When do child support payments end?

If you are required to pay child support, you could be struggling with various legal matters and have a number of questions. For example, you may be unsure of whether your child support order can be modified or you could be unable to fulfill your obligations because of economic hardship. If you live in Lee County, Florida, or any part of the U.S., it is vital to find answers to any important questions you have, such as when your child support obligations end. After all, child support problems can carry serious consequences, including fines and even jail time.

Typically, parents do not need to continue making child support payments after the child turns 18. However, there are a number of circumstances where child support payments extend beyond the date that a child turns 18, according to the Florida Legislature. For example, if your child is a high school student between 18 and 19 years old who expects to graduate before they turn 19, you may be required to continue paying child support. Also, if the child became physically or mentally handicapped before they reached the age of 18, the court may order you to keep making child support payments after they become a legal adult.

If you have an obligation to pay child support, it is crucial to make sure that you avoid missing any payments. If you are having a hard time paying the child support you owe on time, you may be able to modify the order and reduce the amount you need to pay. This information is not to be taken as a substitute for legal counsel.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location:

Fried and fried, P.A. 2524 East First Street Fort Myers, FL 33901

Ph: 239-243-9287 Toll Free: 888-831-2597 Fax: 239-337-4693 Map & Directions