Fried and Fried, P.A. | Lee County Family Law & Divorce Attorneys

Consult With An Attorney

Toll free: 888-831-2597 | Local: 239-243-9287
A Tradition Of Excellence. A Forward-Thinking Family Law Practice.

Can custody issues affect my child’s passport?

On Behalf of | Feb 10, 2017 | Child Custody |

When it comes to international travel, there are a number of matters related to family law that can affect parents as well as children. For example, a non-custodial parent who has fallen behind on their child support may be unable to obtain, use or renew their passport. In Lee County, Florida, it is important to understand whether or not your child’s passport may also be affected by custody issues.

According to the Florida Legislature, you may have to surrender your child’s passport under certain circumstances. For example, if you are involved in a custody issue, such as a hearing over the modification of a parenting plan, and the court suspects that you pose a threat to removing your child from the country or state, the court may order you to give up your child’s passport.

Sometimes, if the court has clear evidence that a child’s parent may attempt to violate a parenting plan by taking a child out of the state, they may require that a parent obtain written permission from each parent beforehand. If these restrictions are in place, a parent will also not have the ability to apply for a visa or passport on the child’s behalf.

As with all custody matters, emotions can run high and parents may feel incredibly stressed out. However, parents have the responsibility to strive for the wellbeing of their children. You must keep in mind that this post is not legal advice and was written to shed light on passports and custody issues.

FindLaw Network