Fried and Fried, P.A. | Lee County Family Law & Divorce Attorneys

Consult With An Attorney

Toll free: 888-831-2597 | Local: 239-243-9287
A Tradition Of Excellence. A Forward-Thinking Family Law Practice.

What should you do to keep your child in the country?

On Behalf of | Dec 22, 2015 | Child Custody |

If you’re getting divorced from someone from another country, and the two of you are fighting over custody, you may be concerned that your spouse is just going to pack up and leave before the divorce proceedings are finished, taking the child along. This can make it very hard to see your child again, and it could even be impossible. Depending where your spouse goes, officials may not be able to bring the child back.

So, what should you do if you’re concerned about this?

One option is to tell the judge about your fears. You can file a document that explains the situation to the court. Most of the time, a spouse won’t run unless he or she is in danger of losing the custody battle. Therefore, the document can ask the judge if he or she will give you sole custody, at least on a temporary basis, so that your spouse can’t flee with the child.

The beauty of this is that you are under no obligation to tell your spouse that you’re doing this. The judge can then make the ruling before your spouse has a chance to act.

If this does go through, the sole custody declaration may not last forever. It is just to buy you time. Your spouse may still win custody or joint custody may be awarded. However, this move at least means that the case has to be completed and that your spouse can’t keep your child from you in such a deceptive fashion.

Those facing complicated child custody cases need to know all of their options in Florida.

Source: Huffington Post, “Top Tricks to Keep Your Spouse From Taking Your Child Out of the Country During Divorce,” Stann Givens, accessed Dec. 22, 2015

FindLaw Network