Fried and Fried, P.A. | Lee County Family Law & Divorce Attorneys

Consult With An Attorney

Toll free: 888-831-2597 | Local: 239-243-9287
A Tradition Of Excellence. A Forward-Thinking Family Law Practice.

Can I have my child support order modified?

On Behalf of | Jun 1, 2016 | Fathers' Rights |

In Florida, you are able to ask for your child support order to be modified, according to the Administration for Children and Families. If you are a father who lives in Lee County, or any other part of the state, it is important to familiarize yourself with the child support modification process and understand the different requirements if you are interested in requesting a modification.

If it has been three years or longer since the issuance or modification of your child support order, you can request a modification. Furthermore, if your circumstances have changed significantly and you have an active Florida Child Support Program case, you can ask the FCSP to modify your order.

Although it is free to request a child support order modification, you may be responsible to cover expenses if your case heads to court and your request is turned down. First, you will have to return a Request for Modification form that is sent to you from the Florida Child Support Program. Next, you will have to complete an additional form regarding your finances and provide proof of your current income.

It can take as long as two months for you to hear back from the FCSP after you first ask for information. However, the FCSP will assess the information you provide and determine whether or not your child support order should be modified.

Please understand that this information was put together to shed light on the child support modification process and is not to be interpreted as a substitute for legal advice.

FindLaw Network