Fried and Fried, P.A. | Lee County Family Law & Divorce Attorneys

Consult With An Attorney

Toll free: 888-831-2597 | Local: 239-243-9287
A Tradition Of Excellence. A Forward-Thinking Family Law Practice.

Am I able to seek a protective injunction?

On Behalf of | Sep 17, 2016 | Domestic Violence |

If you have experienced domestic violence or are currently involved in an abusive relationship, daily life may be very challenging and you could be unsure of what to do next. However, it is very important to understand all of your options and identify the smartest course of action. Depending on your situation, you may be able to obtain a protective injunction to prevent domestic violence in Lee County, or another part of Florida.

If you wish to protect yourself from domestic violence, you may have the option to get a protective injunction. Although you do not need to be married to an individual to seek a protective injunction against them, you must be a family or household member, according to the Florida Senate. However, you are still able to file a petition if you have moved out of the home in order to stay away from an abuser.

In order to file a petition, you need to have reasonable cause to think that you will experience domestic violence soon or already be a domestic violence victim. There are many different types of behavior that constitute domestic violence, such as kidnapping, sexual assault, a crime which results in a family member being injured or killed and aggravated assault, among others. If you have already suffered as a result of domestic violence or are certain that you will experience violence at the hands of a family member soon, it is vital to protect yourself immediately.

This post is intended for general informational purposes and should not be seen as an alternative to legal advice.

FindLaw Network