Fried and Fried, P.A.
Consult With An Attorney
Toll free: 888-831-2597
Local: 239-243-9287

Undo or 'I do': Reconciling after divorce

Once a divorce is finalized, ex-spouses commonly find that they have little or no desire to maintain any sort of relationship with an ex. Even in amicable divorces, ex-spouses often go their separate ways and ultimately cut ties. However, not every divorce ends this way. In fact, there are situations in which divorced spouses end up reconciling.

Reconciling after divorce is not necessarily common, but it can and does happen. Two people may find that time apart, a change in lifestyles or a new perspective can actually bring them back together. If this sounds like a situation in which you have found yourself, you may have questions about whether you can undo the divorce and just go back to being married.

Unfortunately, in most cases and states (including Florida), you cannot undo a divorce unless there are specific instances that make it appropriate for the case to be overturned or vacated.

According to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, which many states follow, a divorce can be undone if it was based on or stemmed from fraud, old or previously unavailable evidence, a mistake or other similar elements. 

What this means is that a change of heart will generally not prompt the courts to reverse a divorce unless you are in a state that allows such actions to be taken. However, you can get remarried.

It should be noted that elements of a divorce decree can be reversed or modified. For example, courts can grant child support modifications or alter spousal support orders when necessary and appropriate.

If you have questions about any aspect of your divorce and whether anything can be done to change or reverse specific matters like alimony or property division, it can be crucial that you discuss the situation with an attorney. Having legal guidance can help you make an informed decision that is in your best interests.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact us

Fried and Fried, P.A.
2524 First Street
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 888-831-2597
Phone: 239-243-9287
Fax: 239-337-4693
Fort Myers Law Office Map

Fried and Fried, P.A. Map
Review us

Contact Us For A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response